Saturday, August 6, 2011

Luke: Found Something?

Little Luke has everyone perplexed...
The cultures from St. Vincent's ER have now come back showing E. coli... I was pretty surprised to hear that one... and the doctor says his other symptoms don't necessarily point to that (she is wondering if it might have not been a clean test.)  And he has been on antibiotics that should treat E. coli, and we have yet to see much change in his fever, etc... She said it "can" take longer to see the drugs start to work, but normally you see improvements (especially to the fever) within 24-36 hours or so. She ordered an ultrasound of his kidney's and bladder, so they brought the equipment to our room late this afternoon. (She wants to see if there is a pocket of infection that the antibiotics aren't able to get to.)

They took Luke's temp about one hour ago and it was 101.4 -- so it's still high. The doctor has increased Luke's antibiotic schedule and also added some sodium (he was low there too.) His white blood cells are still low (though higher than the initial count.) So... this means we definitely won't be heading home tomorrow... SIGH. But also glad we have good doctors & nurses who are working hard to get Luke all healed up.

And as I type the nurse is taking Luke's temperature... new reading = 101.7. So it's up more. BIGGER SIGH.

My parent's made it up to visit, which was great. They also got to meet the doctor and see the ultrasound process. It was nice to be able to "visit" with them (given that was the reason they were coming this weekend - before the whole ER incident happened.) Odd being at the hospital and not at home with them.

And I miss my little Samuel... I love that boy.

3 comments:

  1. So good to see you and to be able to old Luke this afternoon. Everybody keep praying please!
    Mom S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill .. that is what Jennifer had when she was a baby! She was so weak and couldn't keep anything down and would cry. It was E Coli. No idea at all how she got it. - Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about all of this. I have been checking your blog constantly hoping for good news. I wish I was up there to help you guys out in any way... But instead I will continue to pray for Luke and your family. Sending lots of love your way-- Jamie

    ReplyDelete