I always said that blogs should be honest & open – that’s the intent, right? To share life stuff with family/friends (and even people you don’t know, who have decided your story is worth following for some reason...) So, I have always tried to be honest on my blog – but sometimes it is the “fun” things that you feel like sharing… Not that I am hiding the bad stuff, but usually the bad days come & go without documentation. But today, I decided it might be healthy for me to vent a little. J
I am sitting here with a baby on my lap (who has slept all of 30 minutes ALL day) and at the same time trying keep the “other one” busy playing with his toys (vs. watching a re-run of Dinosaur Train because I try very hard not to allow too much TV-time – but it’s hard sometimes!) I had to do this (terrible me!) by bargaining with chocolate milk.
HONESTY
It has been a long day… I am working with Samuel, trying to teach him to share his feelings when he gets frustrated (he always seems to say “I don’t know” when asked what is wrong.) This morning we had some issues after playing “trains” on the floor because Samuel decided to play with Joe’s computer instead. Long story short, we worked through our issues together, but it took some work. We then went on a drive and took Joe a coffee at school – which was GREAT because we got out of the house for a bit… And Joe let Samuel go into his room and say “hello” to the students! He said Samuel even gave them all a high-five as they left for the library (a huge step for Samuel as he is shy much of the time.)
Luke has not been sleeping and has needed CONSTANT attention today. He is much more fussy than normal, has been crying a lot and is having issues keeping formula down. But I do have to give Samuel some credit [INSERT A BIG SMILE HERE] because we decided to go on a walk to the park, only to discover that Luke’s BOB was not in the garage (it must be in Joe’s car.) And we have specific BOB’s for each kid because Luke’s has a special attachment for his car seat. I could tell Samuel’s mind was working overtime because he really wanted to go to the park, so he said: “we have my BOB, mom… we can let baby Luke use it.” [YAY – HE IS LEARNING TO SHARE!]
WHAT A SWEETHEART.
So we ended up using Samuel’s BOB and improvising on the BOB safety process. J It worked out fine and we had fun at the park.
BUT… I am exhausted. I will be a 40-year-old in December, mind you! I have a 3-year old and a 3-month old. BIG SIGH.
Trying to keep up with the laundry, changing “accident” sheets, making meals, feeding at 2am, washing bottles, keeping an energetic 3-year-old happy all-day (playing trains, having him help with meals, going on walks, doing dishes, doing artwork, teaching him how to do laundry - and yet still feeling like a failure for not doing things like working on alphabets and numbers!), feeding a baby (in what seems like every 15 minutes), cleaning up the really bad “urp-up” (4 times today!), doing bills, keeping up with scrapbooking (yea right!), planning baby dedications, scheduling doctor follow-ups and fixing dinner… oh, and did I mention packing (we are heading out on vacation this Saturday.) I honestly knew this would be really hard, and wasn’t expecting anything less… but nothing is real until you have experienced it for yourself…
AND… I guess what freaks me out the most is thinking about going back to work and maintaining a household. How on earth do women do this? I am completely blessed, knowing that Joe will be home with the kids until around Christmas break, however, I know we don’t manage a household “exactly” the same (our goals multi-tasking abilities/desires are a bit different.) J But he assures me he is going to do everything he can to keep up with things and I guess I need to give him that opportunity and have faith that all will be okay… but what about when January hits? Yikes… Yikes… Yikes… (But wait – I have not one, but TWO miracle children… how can I even be complaining right now?!)
Oh Joe, please come home from work now!
Okay, I really have to sign-off, as Samuel just discovered he had dropped food on the floor during his lunch today - and wanted to clean it up, so he went to get a paper towel (the holder just came crashing down on the floor.)
Oh Joe, please come home from work now!
Okay, I really have to sign-off, as Samuel just discovered he had dropped food on the floor during his lunch today - and wanted to clean it up, so he went to get a paper towel (the holder just came crashing down on the floor.)
I can’t wait to see the movie: “I Don’t Know How She Does It.” I read the book – and if the movie is half as good, I will be thrilled. Oh wait – going to the movie theater? Yea, right… maybe I can catch the DVD version in a few months for a big “date night” (if I am lucky!) J
...and if anyone has actually read this far, then please share any comments or suggestions! :-)
PICS TAKEN RIGHT NOW...
...and if anyone has actually read this far, then please share any comments or suggestions! :-)
PICS TAKEN RIGHT NOW...
| Keeping Samuel Busy (cutting mushrooms that we really don't need...) |
| A Very Unhappy Luke... all... day... long. |
| Bottles, Bottles and more Bottles.... Will it ever end?! |

Hang in there. I was 42 when I brought my youngest home. I was exhausted and crabby most of the first year (sad to admit, but it's true). I'm a single mother, so all of it falls to me. The house is a mess, and sometimes dinner is chicken nuggets and whatever can of fruit / veggies I open up. But my children are being raised in a home full of love, where God is taught and faith is lived out every day. They are secure and know they are my prioirty. You simply have to learn to let it go, know this is only a phase in life, and it will be different eventually. And when it is over, there will be some things you will be grateful have passed (2 am feedings!), but there are other things you will wish you had back (they were still willing to cuddle when they were little!) I know it's hard. Really, I DO know! Take a deep breath, and maybe have an extra Starbucks today. That helps too. :)
ReplyDeleteI know it's really hard Jill, and the baby stage is especially hard, and being almost 40 makes it especially hard (babies at 29 were much easier than now). It does get easier, or you get more used to it, I'm not sure which. Even after 3 kids, I'm not especially fond of the baby stage-- my favorite ages so far are 4 and 10. 4 year olds still need you but they are finding their independence and their emotions aren't so all over the place. 10 is fun because we can talk a little more grown up and do more grown up things together. I still have times that I envy my friends who chose to be childless and aren't tied down and can go to a store or travel and get their haircut whenever they want. But I really wouldn't change anything and it has been a fun, if not exhausting, journey. Good luck! --Karen
ReplyDeletedude. i want you to adopt again with us!C :-)
ReplyDeleteJill, I remember feeling exactly the same way. Not a little the same... exactly the same. This is the hardest job in the world and trying to maintain some of your past life/organization/activities/cleanliness/sanity is almost impossible... tricky at best. One thing to remember is... if you're that worried about your kids, you're a good parent! 'Nuf said :) Hang in there! - Katie
ReplyDelete